Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Introduction

As is traditional in the world of blogging the first post will be used to introduce the blog. As my profile points out I am a student of law and am currently completing my LLM in International Law at the University of Glasgow. I originally hail from Northern Ireland, although consider England to be my home.


I joined the Conservative Party in 2004 whilst living in Liverpool and discovered that my local association comprised an answering machine. Not surprisingly I found it rather difficult to take an active role at that time. Upon moving to Clydebank I made contact with the local association in West Dunbartonshire and was delighted to find an enthusiastic, albeit small, committed group of conservatives. In 2006 I was selected to run in the 2007 local government elections in Clydebank Waterfront.

With this blog I hope to offer opinion on and critique of current issues in UK politics and, more specifically, issues relating to conservativism.

2 comments:

Serf said...

Shane, in the absence of an email address, I hope you will excuse the off topic post.

I am the editor of Right Links, a conservative portal, whose primary purpose is to bring together online Conservatives.

I wanted to invite you to join us and to submit your blog to the directory.

The address is www.rightlink.co.uk

Regards

Serf

Shane Greer said...

I would say I am a Cameroon to a certain extent. On the one hand I am not a fan of moving the party too close the centre, on the other hand I think Cameron exemplifies the kind of approach (with regard to marketing, branding etc) we as a party to take if we are to be a real political force in the 21st Century (one example that springs to mind is the subtle change in tone of blue that now represents the party; it conveys an entirely different feel than the traditional darker blue). We need to start viewing ourselves from the perspective of the consumer; how to we ‘package’ our ‘product’ so as to increase our foothold in the market and displace the product proffered by our main competitor; Labour. The caveat I would submit however is that we should not simply change our values to win votes (something I think we are in danger of doing), if that happens there will be nothing to distinguish the leading parties and worse still a loss of everything we can be said to stand for.

With regard to the Cameron Leadership blog I emailed Daniel Lucraft recently to express an interest in writing for it and am awaiting a reply.

As for swapping links I would be more than happy to do so.

Concerning the CEP I have been considering the issue for some time (since I had a conversation with an activist at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2004) although I have not yet been convinced. My reservation mainly lies with the need for such a body when the current UK Parliament is comprised mainly of English MPs.